The window is usually one of the stand out features of any room, and making sure that they are made the most of is crucial for interior design to work well.
When it comes to window dressings, there are often two main choices: curtains or blinds. Deciding between the two is both a case of choice and practicality. Modernism vs Classical.
The Benefits of Blinds
- Blinds are available in a variety of styles and designs, from contemporary looking aluminium blinds to Venetian and Roman blinds. Depending on the setting you are want to have in your room, there is a blind for every room.
- When it comes to light filtration, blinds are the superior choice. Whether it’s the slatted design of Venetian blinds that allows perfect shading, or blackout blinds that block sunlight for those needing constant sleep during the day, there are endless options.
- When space is limited such as in flats or small bedrooms, blinds are the perfect choice. Specific designs can be fitted inside the window recess so they don’t project out into the room.
- Blinds, particularly slatted Venetian blinds, can be easily cleaned using a duster. Other materials can be removed and washed separately.
Drawbacks of blinds
- One of the drawbacks of blinds is that they usually cost more than ordinary curtains – especially those that require some form of operational mechanism. But this is often due to the quality.
- Certain types of blinds can be difficult to clean, especially those made from non-fabric materials as they cannot just be removed and placed in a washing machine. Similarly, water may damage some wooden or aluminium blinds.
Benefits of curtains
- As they usually require no pull cord to operate, curtains tend to provide a safer window dressing option than blinds – particularly with small children and pets around.
- As it is generally anticipated for curtains to overlap the edges of the window, it does not matter if they are not made to measure. But if needed, cutting down curtains that are too big is not difficult.
Drawbacks of curtains
- Animal hair and fur tends to get stuck to heavy fabric curtains than it does to Venetian or wooden blinds, thus regular maintenance will be required.
- In smaller homes and rooms, curtains can stick out outwards into the limited available space, where blinds can sit neatly out the way inside the window recess.
- Curtains rarely fit perfectly over the windowpane, allowing light to filter in around the sides or through the central gap. This can become an issue for light sleepers who are affected by sunlight, or for babies who need to sleep during the day.
- Choosing between curtains or blinds as a window dressing can cause indecisiveness, but generally, if you require versatility in terms of materials, style, practicality and maintenance, then blinds are the option to go for.
New Look Blinds
At New Look Blinds, we stock a wide variety of made to measure blinds for use in all domestic and commercial environments, at very competitive prices. Our team are on hand to carry out home visits to assess your requirements and offer a free, no obligation quote. Simply contact us on our freephone number 0808 120 393 for more information.